Cover Letter for Job | 10 tips to help you write it
First impressions are fundamental when applying for a new job. Our Professional Resume Writers encounter countless issues when reviewing cover letters, and we want you to be successful.
Here are a few tips on how you can successfully structure your cover letter to ensure you stand out to your potential employer:
- Don't paraphrase your resume. If your engaged employer rereads the same information. You will lose them.
- Don't tell them how much the company can do you professionally develop your skills. They don't care! They are interested in what you can do for them.
- Highlight your key skills. Your cover letter and resume are your marketing tool. Show them how great you are!
- Limit your education. What? I hear you say! Your employers are looking for practical experience. Regurgitating what units you have completed can be saved for your LinkedIn profile, you should only highlight your essential themes.
- Don't highlight skills you don't have. If you don't have a particular talent they are asking for, don't acknowledge it in your cover letter and resume (unless it is a key selection criteria requirement). If you need to address the skill in the key selection criteria, you need to ask yourself if you will be the best candidate for the role. If you want that position, enrol in a short course, and add the skills learnt to your example.
- Engage the reader with your personal story. You are giving the hiring manager your career journey. Tell it in the best way you can.
- Use statistics where possible. If you drove business growth up by 50% tell them!
- Keep it concise. A cover letter should be one page.
- Pretend they already know you. Often this confidence trick allows you to write more engagingly.
- Don't start it with your name. Hi, my name is boring!
Sadly, you have just 6 seconds for your resume to impress your new employer. That’s where we come in; our professional Resume Writers have over ten years experience across corporate, government and various industries. They also have experience as Senior Managers who have received thousands of resumes and hired hundreds of people. Therefore, they know precisely what Managers look for in applications, and would love to help you to structure your resume and cover letter accordingly.
In the Quick Apply Package you will receive a new, modern, redrafted, concise resume and cover letter either generic or specific to the job.
Regardless of whether you're about to start writing your cover letter for the first time, or have used it to death and not getting the jobs you want, our Professional Resume Writers are here to help!
Simply purchase the Quick Apply package by clicking here to get started today.